What’s a Touron?
A touron is tourist doing something stupid. A moron tourist. Touron. They make bad choices that make life harder for everyone. Here are some common touron mistakes and how to avoid them.
1. No mirrors. At least none wide enough to see around the load you’re hauling. Most commonly hauling a boat, this touron gets into the left lane of the freeway, then stays there. He does this because he can’t see around the boat or RV he’s hauling. The solution? Towing mirrors. At the very least, a set of Camco Tow and See mirrors would do the trick. I want something better, but these things are the minimum standard.
2. Overloading the trailer. This common touron mistake can be seen regularly. Towing a boat or smaller RV, they packed too much gear into the unit and overloaded the trailer to the point of failure. If they’re lucky, the failure will occur at the tire, not the wheel bearing. Know the load rating of that trailer. Maintain the axles and don’t go nuts overloading the thing.
3. Re-purposing old trailers. There’s nothing wrong with buying an older trailer for the frame and axle, then building what you want. We love home built RVs. Just know what you’ve bought and don’t overbuild. If you build a 2 ton camper on an 800lb axle, you’re a touron. You will be sitting on the side of the road. It’s just a matter of when.
4. Overloading The Vehicle. Even if you’re not towing, be careful about just how much you add to that vehicle. Your car or truck was only designed to hold so much weight. Roof racks and trunk racks are nice, but watch just how heavy you go with this stuff. Just like the trailer, when you start overloading, stuff fails.
5. Tire Selection and Care. Tires have a load rating. They also have a range for the air pressure. You will find a maximum load capacity and the air pressure required for the load on the side of the tire. If you’re towing a travel trailer on passenger tires, it’s even more important to know this information. Read the sidewall of your tire so you know what you have.
Over the next several episodes, Kris and I will share a few of our mistakes. Yes, we’ve made more than our share.
Kris and I will be back in the studio next week.